Welcome to Hildesheim



Welcome to Hildesheim, the city of roses and churches. Hildesheim is located central in northern Germany, about 30 km southeast of Hannover. Hildesheim is a lively young city with a long history. Its history started in 815 when it became the seat of the Bishopric of Hildesheim. With the establishment of the cathedral it developed quickly into a bigger town. For a long period, the clergy ruled Hildesheim, before the city hall was established in 1268 and the citizens gained more influence. Hildesheim became protestant in 1542, and only the cathedral and few other buildings remained in catholic hands. During the second World War, the city was heavily damaged by air raids in 1945 and most of the old buildings had been destroyed. Fortunately, most of the major churches have been rebuilt in their originally old style after the war. Two of them, the Romanesque St. Mary´s Catholic cathedral and the St. Michael´s church are now UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The St. Mary´s Catholic cathedral is famous for its ancient bronze doors and for the Thousand-Year-Old Rosetree (Rosa canina) which flourishes on the wall of the Cathedral apse. Eight weeks after the cathedral was completely destroyed by bombings, the burned rose sprouted again and is since that time a symbol and guarantor of live in Hildesheim.

The historic market place was once considered as one of the most beautiful market places in the world and was famous for its beautiful half-timbered buildings such as the Butchers Guild Hall. The market place was completely reconstructed between 1984 and 1990.

Historic market place. The Van der Valk Hotel


Typical half-timbered house


Typical half-timbered house


The Marienburg castle